If you are a fan of bubble tea or boba tea, then you must try Thai Bubble Tea. Thai Bubble Tea, also known as Thai Boba Tea, Thai iced tea with pearls or Thai Milk Tea, is a popular drink that originated in Thailand. It is a sweet, creamy, and refreshing beverage that is perfect for any occasion. In this article, we will share with you the recipe for making Thai Bubble Tea at home and also introduce you to the best Thai Bubble Tea franchises in America.
What is Thai Bubble Tea?
Thai Bubble Tea is a beverage made with black tea, sweetened condensed milk, and tapioca pearls. The tea is brewed and then mixed with sweetened condensed milk to create a creamy and sweet flavor. The tapioca pearls are added to the bottom of the cup and then the tea is poured on top, creating a unique and delicious drink. The tapioca pearls in Thai Bubble Tea are the key ingredient that sets this drink apart from other teas. The pearls are made from tapioca starch and have a chewy texture that adds a fun element to the drink. They can be black or white and vary in size. The pearls are cooked in boiling water until they become translucent and soft. They are then rinsed and coated in a syrup to give them a sweet flavor.
A cup of thai tea is a popular beverage in many parts of the world, especially in Asia and North America. It is often served in specialty tea shops or cafes that specialize in bubble tea. The drink can be customized in a variety of ways by adding different flavors, such as fruit or honey, and adjusting the amount of sweetened condensed milk or sugar.
How to Make Thai Bubble Tea at Home?
If you want to make this delicious thai tea drink at home you can buy a ready made DIY Thai Tea mix or you can follow our brilliant thai tea recipe. The thai tea boba is quite a simple drink to create. To make Thai Boba Tea at home, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of black tea
- 1/4 cup of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup of cooked tapioca pearls
- Ice cubes
- Start by brewing the black tea. You can use tea bags or loose tea leaves, depending on your preference. Follow the instructions on the packaging for the best results. Once brewed, let the tea cool down to room temperature or chill it in the refrigerator.
Personal Experience: I find that loose tea leaves create a stronger and more flavorful tea, but tea bags are more convenient. Black tea leaves from loose leaf tea is preferable for an authentic flavour. Leave the tea to steep or at least 1-3 minutes before removing to make sure all the flavour is absorbed.
- While the tea is brewing, cook the tapioca pearls. Add the pearls to a pot of boiling water and stir gently to prevent them from sticking to the bottom. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the pearls are soft and chewy. Once cooked, drain the water and rinse the pearls with cold water.
Personal Experience: If you want to make boba be sure not to overcook the pearls, or they will become too soft and lose their chewy texture. Also, don’t forget to rinse the pearls with cold water to prevent them from sticking together. Sticky boba balls aren’t very nice!
- In a glass, add the cooked tapioca pearls at the bottom. You can use a large glass or a mason jar, depending on the size of your serving.
- Personal Experience: I prefer using a mason jar because it gives me more room to add the tea and other ingredients.
- Add ice cubes on top of the tapioca pearls. You can use regular ice cubes or try using coloured ice cubes for a fun twist. Try not to use ice cubes with flavourings like juices as they would mix into the tea as it melts which would change the taste.
Personal Experience: I like to add a few drops of food coloring to my ice cubes to create a colorful effect.
- Pour the cooled black tea into the glass. Fill the glass about 3/4 full, leaving room for the sweetened condensed milk.
Personal Experience: I like to use a funnel to pour the tea into the glass, so I don’t spill it everywhere.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk to the tea. Start with a small amount and add more to taste. Stir well to combine.
Personal Experience: Be careful not to add too much sweetened condensed milk, or the drink will become too sweet. You can always add more milk if needed.
- Enjoy your homemade Thai Bubble Tea! Use a large straw to drink the tea and chew on the tapioca pearls.
- Personal Experience: I like to add a few extra toppings to my Thai Bubble Tea, such as whipped cream or fruit. You can also experiment with different flavors of sweetened condensed milk or use non-dairy milk for a healthier twist.
Making Thai Bubble Tea at home can be a fun and easy activity, and the results are delicious. Just be sure to follow the instructions carefully and watch out for overcooking the pearls or adding too much sweetened condensed milk. With a little practice, you’ll be able to make the perfect Thai Bubble Tea every time.
FAQs on making Thai Bubble Tea at home
What is the difference between Thai Bubble Tea and regular Bubble Tea?
Thai Bubble Tea is made with black tea and sweetened condensed milk, while regular Bubble Tea is made with green or black tea and can be sweetened with various flavors and syrups.
Can I use a different type of tea for Thai Bubble Tea?
While black tea is traditionally used for Thai Bubble Tea, you can experiment with other types of tea to create your own unique flavor.
Can I use a different type of milk for Thai Bubble Tea?
While sweetened condensed milk is commonly used for Thai Bubble Tea, you can use other types of milk or cream to create a different flavor.
Are tapioca pearls necessary for Thai Bubble Tea?
Yes, tapioca pearls are an essential part of Thai Bubble Tea and give the drink its signature texture and flavor.
Places to get the best Thai Bubble Tea from Franchises in America
If you are looking for a place to try authentic Thai Bubble Tea, then look no further than these popular franchises:
- Chatime – With over 1,000 locations worldwide, Chatime is one of the largest bubble tea chains in the world. They offer a wide range of drinks, including their signature Thai Milk Tea with pearls.
- Coco Fresh Tea & Juice – Another popular chain with over 4,000 locations worldwide, Coco Fresh Tea & Juice offers a variety of drinks, including their popular Thai Milk Tea with Boba.
- Kung Fu Tea – Known for their high-quality ingredients and unique flavors, Kung Fu Tea is a popular franchise with over 200 locations in the United States. They offer a delicious Thai Bubble Tea with real milk and black tea.
- Tbaar – With locations in California, Nevada, and Texas, Tbaar offers a unique selection of drinks, including their signature Thai Bubble Tea with grass jelly and pearls.
So don’t hesitate, to try some of that delicious Thai Bubble Tea perfect for any occasion. Whether you make it at home or visit one of the best Thai Bubble Tea franchises in America, you are sure to enjoy this unique and tasty beverage. With its creamy texture, sweet taste, and chewy tapioca pearls, Thai Bubble Tea is a fun and exciting drink to try.